Serena covers Harper's Bazaar U.K.

Tennis legend and hot momma, Serena Williams covers the July issue of Harper's Bazaar U.K. She also addresses a comment she made in 2004 about wanting to be a smaller size.

bazaarukExclusive: @serenawilliams is our July issue cover star 💫Stay tuned for more pictures from the shoot plus an exclusive behind-the-scenes video (📷 Serena wears @dior jumpsuit and boots custom made by Maria Grazia Chiuri on our subscribers’ edition cover, styled by @mirandaalmond and photographed by @richardphibbs. Hair by @angelameadowssalon, make-up by @natashagrossmakeupartist. With thanks to @tommacklin @rachellouisebrown1@avrilmair @jogoodby @amygalvin@tillywheating @tommacklinstudio and @justinepicardie) On newsstands from 31 May. #SerenaWilliams #JulyIssue#HarpersBazaar
"Oh God, I'll never be a size four," she declares. "Why would I want to do that and be that? This is me, and this is my weapon and machine."

Williams adds, "But I love that I said that [in a 2004 interview], because I can understand. I can show Olympia that I struggled, but now I'm happy with who I am and what I am and what I look like," she says. "Olympia was born and she had my arms, and instead of being sad and fearful about what people would say about her, I was just so happy."

Williams may be body confident now but she had a tough time handling body shamers in the past who felt she was masculine instead.
"People would say I was born a guy, all because of my arms, or because I’m strong," she recalls. "I was different to [my sister] Venus: she was thin and tall and beautiful, and I am strong and muscular – and beautiful, but, you know, it was just totally different."


bazaarukThe power and the glory: @serenawilliams stars on our July issue newsstand cover 🔥 (📷 Serena wears @normakamali leotard and @marina.rinaldi parka, styled by @mirandaalmond and photographed by @richardphibbs#SerenaWilliams#HarpersBazaar #JulyIssue

The black beauty admitted that the only thing holding her back from making more babies is tennis. "If I wasn’t playing tennis, I’d be pregnant right now," she quips. "Sorry, I’m one of those women."
Williams also spoke about the moment she predicted she was having a girl.
"I knew I was having a girl, because when I was playing tennis in the tournament, I didn’t have one day of morning sickness, no symptoms. Australia is really hot, some days can be over [104 degrees fahrenheit], which is insane, but she never complained," she remembers. "I said to Alexis, 'This is a girl. Only a woman can be this strong.'


bazaaruk"I knew I was having a girl, because when I was playing tennis in the Australian Open, I didn't have one day of morning sickness, no symptoms. Australia is really hot, some days can be over 40 degrees, which is insane, but she never complained. I said to Alexis, 'This is a girl. Only a woman can be this strong.'" Serena Williams talks sisterhood, self-acceptance and staying strong in the July issue - out today (📷by @richardphibbs and styled by @mirandaalmond. Serena wears @versace top and leggings and @chanelofficial jewellery) #harpersbazaar#serenawilliams #julyissue

Also in the magazine, she talked about her turbulent delivery and what happened thereafter. Following an emergency C-section, blood clots in her lungs, and a second surgery, Williams also dealt with postpartum depression
"Honestly, sometimes I still think I have to deal with it. I think people need to talk about it more because it’s almost like the fourth trimester, it’s part of the pregnancy," she says. "I remember one day, I couldn’t find Olympia’s bottle and I got so upset I started crying ... because I wanted to be perfect for her." 
Interestingly, apart from learning Mandarin and French and taking ballet lesson, Serena has no dreams for her eight month old daughter, Alexis Olympia Ohanian Jnr.
"I want to let her do whatever she wants to do, as long as it’s positive," she says. "Always try to be an addition to society, not a subtraction."
The tennis star who is currently participating in the French Open, her first tournament since giving birth, already has high hopes of winning the Wimbledon this July too.
"I’m not going to play if I don’t think [I can win]," she proclaims. "Even if my goals are outrageous, totally insane, I’d rather reach for the sky."








Comments

Popular Posts